Friday, February 10, 2012

Methi Muthia - snack from Gujarat

I love Gujarati food, the first time I ever tasted a Gujarati meal was at this restaurant near Edison in NJ called Jhupdi which my brother & SIL took me to. It has been years and I still remember how I fell in love with their Undhiyu, I can feel the taste of it on my tongue even now :-), well you know what I mean.. There is a small family run eatery in Fremont, CA called Krishna and they serve you a Gujarati Thali just like one you might get if you visited someone's home. The phulkas are soft, fresh and directly from the tawa. I relish everything in a Gujarati thali except for the rasam which is too sweet for my taste.

A few years back, one of my colleagues S got married, he is from Ahmadabad and his wife was a sweet, young girl who was just out of college. When we had a pot luck at work, she had made sheera (sweet sooji pudding) and doodhi/bottlegourd muthias and sent it with S. They were both gone in such a hurry that people really wanted to meet the cook behind the delicious dishes. The moment I see/taste a new dish, I go after the recipe and asked S to get the recipe and to my surprise next day when I went to work, he handed me this very meticulously typed instructions from dear E to make the yummy muthias. I still have that print out in my collection of recipes but don't need to refer to it anymore as I have made it so many times and know it by heart. Thanks E for the delicious muthias and generous sharing of a family recipe.

I have made changes to E's original recipe to suit the way we like it and I experiment with the vegetables since I am confident now of the basic recipe. I know this is a traditional recipe and here is my way of making the delicious Methi muthias as I love methi to bits :-).
What do you need to make Methi muthias?
1 cup wheat flour
1 cup basan/chick pea flour/gram flour/kadle hittu
1/2 cup fine sooji/chiroti rava
1 cup chopped fresh methi leaves/fenugreek leaves
11/2 cups grated bottle gourd
2 Tblsp fresh ginger+green chilies paste (I used about 5 green chilies and an inch of ginger root and pounded them together in mortar-pestle)
1 Tblsp salt
2 Tblsp cooking oil
1 Tsp baking soda
1 Tsp sugar

For Tadka/vaggarane:
1 Tblsp cooking oil
1 Tsp mustard seeds
1 Tsp white sesame seeds
3-4 curry leaves

How do you make Methi Muthias?
  • Mix the grated bottle gourd, methi and salt in a wide bowl and set aside for 10 minutes.
  • Squeeze out the vegetables and keep the water aside, this is very nutritious and you can use it in any of your soups, gravies etc.
  • Mix ginger-green chilies paste, sugar, baking soda and oil with the vegetables.
  • Add the wheat flour, basan and chiroti rava into the bowl and mix it to get a soft mass. 
  • Your exact amount of dry flours depend on the water content from the bottle gourd, so adjust them - I keep the wheat flour and basan equal and sooji at half the other two as we like the taste better with this proportion. 
  • Squeeze out big tennis ball size of the mixed dough and roll them into thick logs. 
  • Arrange them in your pressure cooker vessel and steam (no weight) for 30 minutes on medium heat. 
  • Let the cooked logs cool down before cutting them into 1/2 inch thick discs.
  • Heat oil in a wide pan and add mustard, sesame seeds and curry leaves into it. 
  • Once the mustard and sesame seeds splutter, add the cut muthia discs into it. 
  • Keep the heat on medium and stirring occasionally roast the muthias until they turn light brown. 
  • Serve it with your choice of chutney/dip. 

Variations: 
  • Add palak/spinach instead of or in addition to methi leaves. 
  • Change the proportion of the flours - wheat flour makes muthias dense, rava turns them crisper and basan is for the taste, adjust to suit your taste.
  • You can use grated carrots, finely chopped onion in muthias. 
Tips: 
  • Squeeze the water content as much as you can out of the bottle gourd and keep it aside, I prefer to add the water later if needed than having to end up with an liquidy paste that will consume lot of dry flours and leave you with large portions of bland muthias :-)



1 comment:

NamsVeni Pothas said...

this steamed preparation is mouth watering and nodoubt very tasty and healthy. thanks for the nice recipe.