Sunday, May 13, 2012

Akki Rotti - Mother's day Special

Updated on 8/31/12: I got some pictures of the avarekalu akki rotti from Akka's kitchen, thanks to GAC who remembered to click at the right time and send it over. 

A Very Happy Mother's day to all of you mothers out there.  Hope you had(ve) a wonderful day with your loved ones. 

Personally, I do not celebrate 'the' days so much as I believe the thoughts and sentiments expressed on 'the' day should be part of every day, but I do find it beautiful that people actually celebrate and find so many ways to share love and joy on the designated days.

As with everyone else, my mother is special and I love her dearly, there are so many things I remember fondly about nammamma now that I am away from the home I grew up in. I constantly think back on what she would have done in situations where my mommy skills are needed as she is my benchmark for mommying. Considering how I turned out, she did a pretty good job :-). With all the ups and downs she has gone through in life, she is a pillar of strength for us and a reminder that we can get through life with its umpteen turns and twists.

I got lucky a second time when I got married as my other amma turned out to be just as dear as nammamma. I sometimes tell BH that she made me miss all the fun I could have had with my friends complaining about my MIL if only she had been more like a mother in law and less like another mom to me :-). She is an image of dedication and extreme patience and boundless love where her family is concerned.

My other mother is a sister, best friend and mother rolled into one. When I was a little girl, she took care of me as a mom and as I grew up we became best friends. She continues to be that listener and eternal source of practical advice for me. She does not love cooking like I do but when she goes to the kitchen and makes something, you will think she is one of the best cooks ever, and I believe it is only because she gives her best whether she is delivering a baby or making uppittu in the kitchen.

I had a wonderful mother's day with thoughtful gestures from DD and BH and we are ready to call it a day in anticipation of next week. As a mother's day special recipe, here is my akka's famous avarekalu akki rotti - rice flour rotis patted into shape and made special by mixing in cooked avarekalu. I have this every single time I go back to visit home, she has two very old, battered pans specially for akki rottis and they just turn the rottis soft yet crispy and tastier than any I have eaten. There are many variations of akki rotti - each equally yummy but the one with avarekalu is a delicacy from Avarekalu loving regions of Karnataka. Try this and I guarantee you will fall in love with this version of the akki rotti.
What do you need to make Avarekalu akki rotti? 
1 cup cooked avarekalu
2 cups rice flour
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 Tsp finely chopped green chilies
1/2 cup grated coconut - fresh or frozen
1 Tblsp salt (adjust to taste)
1 Tsp cumin seeds
2 Tblsp chopped colantro
Water to make a soft dough
2 Tblsp of cooking oil
How do you make Avarekalu akki rotti? 
  • Cook the avarekalu till soft and let it cool. 
  • Add all the ingredients except for water in a wide bowl and mix it in.
  • Add water (you can use the water used to cook avarekalu) slowly and mix the ingredients into a semi firm dough - it should be easy to pat on a flat surface. 
  • Take an aluminium foil and put an orange sized dough in the center and make it into a thin (1/2 MM) circle by patting it with your fore fingers. Dip your fingers in cold water to help the patting process. 
  • Heat a flat tawa/pan on medium heat, drizzle a few drops of oil on the tawa and put the aluminium foil on top with rotti facing down. 
  • Let it cook for a couple of minutes and you can remove the foil easily from the top. 
  • Drizzle oil on top of the rotti and let it cook until golden brown and crisp. 
  • Flip the rotti and cook a couple of minutes on the other side too. 
  • Remove it onto a plate, top it with ghee for additional flavor and serve it with pickles, chutney or yogurt. 
Notes: 
  • Back home, akka and nammamma both have what is called as Bandle or a deep circular pan and rotti made in this bandle is more popular than the flat variety. Since I do not have a bandle and my stove is not compatible for a non flat bottom pan, I pat my rottis on the aluminium foil before transferring it to the pan. 
This is an updated picture from my akka's kitchen and that is the old bandle that has been in her family for years now.
  • If you have access to fresh banana leaves, pat the rottis on a washed and pat dried banana leaf for a flavorful rotti. 
  • If you do not have fresh avarekalu handy, don't fret, use the frozen stuff (called papdi lilva). 
  • Do not skimp on the amount of coconut in this recipe. 

I didn't want to make this post personal but I guess I failed at it, but then mothers are personal. I leave you with a funny exchange about a mom with a second grader, enjoy..

Q: What kind of a little girl was your mom? 
A1: My mom has always been my mom and none of that other stuff. 
A2: I don't know because I wasn't there, but my guess would be 'pretty bossy'
A3: They say she used to be nice.

8 comments:

chef and her kitchen said...

Avarekalu akki rotti is my favorite too...I can relate to u in d same way about wat u mentioned abt ur mil...even my MIL is very sweet and I too miss all the fun when talking wid frens..lucky u(and me too..he he)

NamsVeni Pothas said...

wow Mothersday is very sweet and pretty in sattva.hats off all mothers!!akki rotti is simply superb!! thanks for the nice dish with warm affection.

Kannada Cuisine said...

I love Avarekalu rotti..one of my all time fav

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

akki roti sounds sooper tasty..cant wait to giv a try now..;)
Tasty Appetite

Gayathri NG said...

Belated wishes for mothers day.
Akki roti looks delicious, we prepare slight different...

Raks said...

Never made or tasted this roti, looks so tempting!

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

such a cute post, im glad i bumped into ur blog loved reading this lil tribute to ur mom & mil :)

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

Lovely post...It was a nice read...Glad to have found your space through the blog hop..